Going natural is the current health trend and the world is busy unraveling the immense benefits of natural wonders.
One such marvel is the tropical fruit – coconut. The innumerable benefits that coconut oil has to offer has made this incredible fruit almost a ‘super-hero’ among the natural foods. As a panacea, coconut is being recommended for general health & wellness, treating chronic health problems, skin care, flavouring foods and many other uses.
Apart from the known health benefits of coconut oil, did you know that there are other useful ways you can use it around the house? It can be an effective and frugal alternative to several commercial products that you may use at home. Here are some non-edible uses of coconut oil.
– Mosquito Repellant: Use it as an inexpensive mosquito repellent by mixing it with peppermint oil and rub all over the body.
– Stain Remover: Remove colour or tattoo stains on the body by scrubbing the area with a paste of coconut oil and a teaspoon of baking soda.
– Extend Shelf life of Eggs: Want to extend the shelf life of fresh eggs for months? Apply a thin coat of coconut oil on the egg surface and store in cool place. The layer of oil creates a protective cover that prevents oxygen from entering the eggs. Eggs kept this way are reported to remain good to eat for 9-12 months.
– Deodorant: Use it as an effective deodorant by mixing coconut oil with baking soda and few drop of your favourite essential oil.
– Prevents Stains: Food colours and stains are an eyesore on your beautiful food containers. Prevent nasty stains by applying coconut oil before you pour in any foods such as sauce or other staining foods.
– Chewing Gum Remover: Chewing gum on hair can be one of the most horrible things that results in tears. Before you reach out for the scissors, you can rub coconut oil over the stuck chewing gum and leave for about 30 minutes. Use your fingers gently on the hair to roll the gum out.
– Adhesive Residue Remover: Do you want to remove sticky adhesive residue from bottles and furniture? Mix coconut oil and baking soda paste in equal parts and apply the mixture on the stubborn sticker or glue residue. It works like a charm!
– Wood Polish: Give a sparkle to your wooden furniture by combining a coconut oil with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Do remember to test the concoction on a small area to make sure it works.
– Bathroom Cleaner: Use it as a bathroom tub and shower cleaner. Apply a thin layer of coconut oil on the layer of soap dirt and let it set for 15 minutes and then clean with baking soda and vinegar mix.
– Eases curtain ring movement: If you find the curtain clip rings getting stuck on the metal rod, rub coconut oil on the rod to see them glide smoothly.
– Keeps Spiders Away: Keep spiders away from home by combining one part of coconut oil and two parts of vinegar and store in spray bottle. Use this solution near doors, wall, window cracks and other areas where spiders are usually seen.
Do you know of any other ways you use coconut oil at home? Share in your comments…